Film Festival designed to screen innovative and unique films.
The Art Color Digital Cinema International Film Festival opened in 2015. The AC DC IFF offers a setting for filmmakers to premiere new work and for audiences to see innovative new films from innovative filmmakers. The festival is IMDb qualifying – the awarded films will be granted an IMDb title page.
The “Golden Piglet” award might include a cash award as well.
The festival is aimed mainly to be an online screening, but if it’s possible we will organize a cinema screening of the officially selected films in Montréal.
The festival also includes a film race during the weekend of March 11-13 2016. For the Speed Weekend section, please don`t submit films. If a video file is required on the platform just upload a video of a few seconds of black.
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS:
Montreal filmmakers have to contact the festival to get a fee waiver.
Films of any completion date are eligible for submission. Art Color Digital Cinema does not have any premiere requirements. However, the festival does take previous screenings and broadcasts into consideration when making its official selections, particularly when films have already screened in Quebec and/or Montreal.
Screeners and exhibition prints must either be in English or have English subtitles (both hard subtitles or soft subtitles accepted).
Rough cuts are accepted for entry. If you submit a rough cut, we cannot guarantee that the programmers will be able to review an updated cut at a later date. If you are submitting a rough cut, make sure it is indicated as such on your submission copy. Include intended final running time and work remaining to be completed with your entry. Art Color Digital Cinema does not exhibit works-in-progress at the festival. Films must be completed by March 20th, 2016 in order to be screened.
You must have one of the following formats available by March 20th, 2016, if accepted, for screening at the festival:
Blu-Ray, DCP (Digital Cinema Package), or digital files: *.mov or *.mp4.
Notification will be sent by email or phone to the contact listed on the entry form by March 20, 2016. You are responsible for updating Art Color Digital Cinema directly regarding any change to your contact information and ensuring that emails from email@example.com are not blocked by spam filters.
Art Color Digital Cinema requires all submissions to be made online, by sending the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Online screeners must include a Vimeo link to the film and the password. They can also be sent via WeTransfer.com.
Submission fees are non-refundable.
AWARDS AND PRIZES:
Best short screenplay
Best sound design
Best short film
Golden Piglet Award
Art Color Digital Cinema reserves the right to change/remove/add awards and prizes any time with no prior notification.
By submitting your film you agree your selected film to be posted publicly on Vimeo on our channel only for weekend of April 8-10, 2016, when the audience voting will be going on. After that, we will remove them from our channel and from Vimeo.
ADDITIONAL TERMS OF ENTRY:
By submitting this film/screenplay, I understand that I am agreeing to the following: I own or control the copyright in and to, and am duly authorized to submit this film to the Art Color Digital Cinema International Film Festival (AC DC) and to the best of my knowledge, all statements on this document are true; This film/screenplay contains no material which could result in tort claims, royalty claims, claims for breach of contract, or claims of any sort whatsoever; If this film is selected for screening at AC DC, I grant AC DC the right to screen this film in Montréal, Québec, Canada, April 7-10, 2016; I understand and agree that this film entry, if selected for the Festival, may be used for promotional purposes for the Festival, AC DC and/or its partners and I grant AC DC and its partners the rights to use up to two minutes of footage, photographic stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes; I fully indemnify and hold AC DC and its partners harmless from: a) damage to or loss of the film print or videotapes en route to or from AC DC or during the course of festival possession of the entry; and b) from an claims which may arise in connection with this film. If a claim arises in connection with this film, I will bear all the costs of defense incurred by AC DC and pay any award of damages which may ensue. I also agree to reimburse AC DC for any attorney fees incurred in connection with the defense of such a claim. I understand that AC DC reserves the right to place my film in the appropriate competition category. By submitting my film, I am indicating that I understand, comply with and agree to the Terms of Entry and the eligibility requirements.
SPEED WEEKEND FILM RACE
ACDCIFF has got a challenge for you. Make a film – write, shoot and edit it – in three days.
Full details on https://softwaringhardthemovie.com/74-hour-film-race/
Please don’t submit if you don’t want to create a movie in 3 days on a weekend in March 2016.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The ACDCIFF Speed Weekend (“Contest”) is presented by the ACDCIFF to support educational outreach for producers and emerging filmmakers; and is open to anyone who complies with the following rules and standards. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the following individuals are not eligible: persons involved in the judging of the Contest and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, or grandparent of each) and those living in their same households for at least three (3) months during the twelve (12) month period preceding the start date of the Contest.
Each person or team submitting a film/video for the Contest is an “Entrant”. The submitted film/video is the “Entry”. Each Entrant, or part thereof, is limited to one Entry.
Entrants must have at least one member of its team be 18 years of age or older. Each Entrant must designate one person, 18 years of age or older, as their Entrant Representative (“ER”), and no Entrant may have more than one ER. The ER will act for the Entrant in all communications with the ACDCIFF and regarding the Contest.
ERs will be required to, and must, sign and submit an agreement that will prove that all the rights were cleared for anything used in the production. The Entry Agreement must be signed on behalf of all members of the Entrant, and each member hereby authorizes, and by participating herein further authorizes, the ER to so sign on their behalf. Upon submission please email a copy of the signed agreements directly to: email@example.com.
All costs associated with the production of the Entry and participation in the Contest are the sole responsibility of the Entrant.
Entrants need not be physically present at the designated times to participate.
2. Registration fees : CAD 2-7.
Last deadline: March 10, 2016
No registrations will be accepted after March 10, 2016.
3. FILMMAKING RULES: The following rules apply to each Entrant and participating group/production team:
All Entrants will be provided the same assignment, and be given exactly 74 hours to make and submit an “Entry”. The topic will be posted on the web site https://softwaringhardthemovie.com/74-hour-film-race/ commencing at 7:01 a.m. EST on Friday, March 11, 2016. As a courtesy, the topic will also be sent to the Entrant’s email as identified on the Entry Agreement. ACDCIFF shall not be responsible for any internet or communication malfunctions or problems or any failure of any Entrant to receive any posted or emailed communication. To be considered eligible, all Entries must be properly submitted by 9:00 a.m. EST on March 14, 2016.
The Entrant must fully complete submission of its completed Entry by 9:00 a.m. EST on Monday, March 14, 2016.
Only works that meet the deadline will be officially part of the Contest. Please contact ACDCIFF with any and all technical questions about properly uploading your completed project to insure completion by the posted deadline.
All creative work must take place from 7:01 a.m. EST on Friday, March 11, 2016 through 9:00 a.m. EST on Monday, March 14, 2016 (the “Speed Weekend”). Any creative work in advance of the Speed Weekend is prohibited. Creative work includes, but is not limited to:
» Costume/Set Design;
» Sound Design;
» Rendering; and
» Outputting to tape or other media.
All footage must be shot within the Speed Weekend.
1) No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used.
2) Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the Speed Weekend.
3) If the spoken language in the film is not English, film must have English Subtitles.
Still photographs are permitted (so long as not used to create illusion of motion), provided that the Entrant has the rights to them. The photos do not need to be created during the Speed Weekend.
All cast and crew must be volunteers.
The finished Entry must have a minimum duration of one (1) minute and a maximum duration of twelve (12) minutes not including credits.
F. Title Card Designation
Before the finished film/video begins, the media must have:
» 5 seconds of bars and tone;
» 5 seconds of black;
» A title card with: team name, title and date submitted;
» A title card with: “This film/video made for the “ACDCIFF Speed Weekend 2016”.
» 2 seconds of black, followed by;
» Your film/video.
» Credits at the end of each Entry are limited to a maximum of 60 seconds.
» End credits must include the words: This film/video made for the “ACDCIFF Speed Weekend 2015”.
» Opening credits are considered to be part of the Entry, and therefore count against the twelve (12)-minute maximum.
H. Forms & Formats
Your Entry must be submitted in Digital Upload format only.
Maintain sound levels relatively even throughout your Entry. (Uneven sound may be modified to protect the playback equipment.)
J. Contest Releases
Each Entrant must secure releases for talent, crew, music and locations and any other applicable releases (collectively referred to as “Contest Releases”), which must be submitted upon request to the Contest organizers. Contest Releases must be submitted within 36 hours of request.
To be eligible for the Project, Entries must be the original work of the Entrant(s); must not infringe on third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements about any person, company, organization or entity; may not invade privacy or other rights of any person, company or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; and may not contain any copyrighted elements (other than as owned by the Entrant or in the public domain). Entries containing prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by the ACDCIFF, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate, will be disqualified. The ACDCIFF reserves the right to make the final determination as to which Entries are eligible. The ACDCIFF also reserves the right to refuse to screen a film/video or to make an announcement regarding the content of the Entry.
L. Notes on Submissions
Nothing other than the Entry, the Entry Agreement and the Contest Releases (when requested) may be submitted.
Submitted Entries will NOT be returned to Entrant(s).
If your Entry does not conform to the submission requirements, it may be disqualified.
No law may be broken in connection with the development, creation, filming or submission of the Entry.
Each Entry and each Entrant’s film/video production and participation must follow all Official Rules.
The ACDCIFF may, in its sole discretion, disqualify Entries deemed by the ACDCIFF to be inappropriate or otherwise non-compliant.
The ACDCIFF may add to or amend these Official Rules at any time prior to the beginning of the Contest Weekend. All ERs, members and Entrants are advised to repeatedly consult https://softwaringhardthemovie.com/74-hour-film-race/ to review the latest rules.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Eligible Entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
A. Creative Merit 40% – consisting of:
B. Technical Execution 30% – consisting of:
editing & post-production quality
production value & effects
C. Execution of the Assignment 30%
The Contest will be characterized by a specific assignment, requiring films to include a certain theme and a few specific elements. The degree to which each film organically incorporates the elements of the assignment will dictate judges’ evaluation of the films’ Execution of Assignment.
The Contest will award at least a first prize; second prize and third prize may be awarded as well. See the web site for prize details and updates. Entrants agree and acknowledge that the ACDCIFF has the sole right to judge the Entries, select the winners and decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest in its sole discretion, and that all decisions of the ACDCIFF are final and binding.
5. By submitting an Entry into this Contest, each Entrant, and each of Entrant’s respective members, including the ER, warrants and represents that the Entrant owns all rights to the Entry he/she/it is entering in this Contest, including, without limitation, the written, musical, video, audio or digital elements, and the performances contained in each Entry. Each ER, member and Entrant further warrants and represents that neither the Entry nor the making thereof will violate or infringe on the rights of any person, and that Entrant has obtained permission from each person who appears in the Entry (or owns any rights with respect thereto) to grant the rights to enter into the Contest and submit the Entry thereto. ER and Entrant each warrants that they have provided these Official Rules to every person appearing in the Entry (or owns any rights with respect thereto), and secured their written consent thereto, prior to submitting the Entry. ER and Entrant each agrees to submit copies of such permissions to the ACDCIFF upon request. By submitting an Entry, each of ER, members and Entrant expressly agrees to the Official Rules, as they currently exist or as amended, and further agrees to indemnify and hold the ACDCIFF and its affiliates, officers, directors, agents, partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the “Contest Indemnitees”) harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Contest Indemnitees due to or arising out of the Entrant’s Entry materials in the Contest, or the Entrant’s conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Each of ER, members and Entrant agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Indemnitees from any and all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the Contest Indemnitees infringes on the rights of Entrant’s work as contained in any Entry.
6. As a condition of entry, Entrants must agree to the Entry Agreement, which sets forth the rights of Entrant and the ACDCIFF with respect to the use of Entries by the ACDCIFF. Entries that do not include all required information, and adhere to the foregoing and following requirements, will be considered void and will not be considered in this Contest.
7. If any group of individuals (each a “member”) elects to collaborate on an Entry, they are required to designate one (1) person as their ER (see paragraph 1). The ER shall serve as the agent of the group to enter the Contest, agree to these Official Rules, sign the Entry Agreement and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither the ACDCIFF nor any of the Contest Indemnitees are liable for any disputes between collaborators, members, vendors, talent or any other persons arising out of or related to the Entry or the Contest. As a condition for any Entry, and being allowed to participate, each member hereby warrants and represents that they have authorized the ER to sign all documents related hereto, and to make any statements made to the ACDCIFF or the Contest, on behalf of each member and their respective agents, representatives, assigns and successors, and will hold the ACDCIFF and the Contest Indemnitees fully indemnified and harmless from any dispute with respect thereto.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating, Entrants agree to these Official Rules, which are final and binding in all respects. The Contest is governed by the laws of the Quebec, Canada, and all claims must be resolved by binding arbitration in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, under the then applicable Canadian Legislation.
9. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by the ACDCIFF or affiliated entities or persons resulting from any person’s participation in, or attempt to participate in, the Contest, or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the ACDCIFF or affiliated entities or persons for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software failures or errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of any web site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the internet or any web site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Contest. The ACDCIFF and affiliated entities or persons are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on any web site. Use of any affiliated web site is at user’s own risk. The ACDCIFF and affiliated entities or persons are not responsible for any personal injury, harm, property damage or loss of any kind which may be sustained to any Entrant or any other person’s person or property resulting from participation in the Contest, use of any affiliated web site or the download of any information. By participating in the Contest, Entrant agrees to, and hereby does, release, indemnify and hold the ACDCIFF and the Contest Indemnitees harmless from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant’s participation or involvement in the Contest.
10. WINNERS: Winners will be posted online here at https://softwaringhardthemovie.com/74-hour-film-race/ on before April 8, 2016. As a courtesy, winners will also be posted on festival’s Facebook page and be sent in an email to the Entrant’s email as identified on the Entry Agreement. ACDCIFF shall not be responsible for any internet or communication malfunctions or problems or any failure of any Entrant to receive any posted or emailed communication.
ADDITIONAL TERMS OF ENTRY:
By submitting this film/screenplay, I understand that I am agreeing to the following: I own or control the copyright in and to, and am duly authorized to submit this film to the Art Color Digital Cinema International Film Festival (AC DC) and to the best of my knowledge, all statements on this document are true; This film/screenplay contains no material which could result in tort claims, royalty claims, claims for breach of contract, or claims of any sort whatsoever; If this film is selected for screening at AC DC, I grant AC DC the right to screen this film in Montréal, Québec, Canada, April 8-10, 2016; I understand and agree that this film entry, if selected for the Festival, may be used for promotional purposes for the Festival, AC DC and/or its partners and I grant AC DC and its partners the rights to use up to two minutes of footage, photographic stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes; I fully indemnify and hold AC DC and its partners harmless from: a) damage to or loss of the film print or videotapes en route to or from AC DC or during the course of festival possession of the entry; and b) from an claims which may arise in connection with this film. If a claim arises in connection with this film, I will bear all the costs of defense incurred by AC DC and pay any award of damages which may ensue. I also agree to reimburse AC DC for any attorney fees incurred in connection with the defense of such a claim. I understand that AC DC reserves the right to place my film in the appropriate competition category. By submitting my film, I am indicating that I understand, comply with and agree to the Terms of Entry and the eligibility requirements.
And here are the winners of Art Color Digital Cinema International Film Festival 2015:
Run Out (Canada 2014), directed by André Gaumond
Corto (France 2014), directed by Alexis de Vigan
ViviAnn Yee in The Light and the Little Girl (United States 2014), directed by Guy Pooles
Best short film
ThunderCluck (United States 2014), directed by Paul Tillery
Best super short film
Drogba Vs. Malaria (France 2014), directed by Jeremy Guerrieri
Best longer short film
Kiko’s Paradise (Spain 2014), directed by Paco Gisbert
Best Surprise Us film
I’ve Just Had a Dream (Spain 2014), directed by Javier Navarro
The Fix, written by Steven Canfield Crowley (United States)
Best short screenplay
Five Days in Calcutta, written by Fred Perry (United States)
Golden Piglet Award
Grown Ups (Spain 2014), directed by Javier Marco
Congratulations everyone and thank you for being part of our festival!
The winners will be contacted by email in the coming days.